Monday, August 21, 2006

An intelligent machine

This post is dedicated to the photocopying machine in my workplace.
I realized I’ve spent an unhealthy amount of time standing beside it during the last 2.5 months or so, making copies and feeding it with crisp paper from time to time.
Have a sorta love hate relationship with it.


Why I love it so?
This wonderful device copies, scans, faxes..
Moi has learnt how to turn single page to double, double to single, print 2 page in 1, sort, staple and punch holes with it.
Yes this machine can staple and punch holes too. Ain’t it fantastic?

Why I hate it so?
Sometimes it gets a little too smart though. For instance when the paper size is set to A4, it will override the setting and auto reset to A3 if it senses something else placed on the feeder.
Talk about being intuitive! Poor moi here was stupefied cos I had some stuff placed on the edge of the tray and no matter how many times I changed the setting to A4, it came out A3 sized.

It also brings me much pain whenever it throws a tantrum.
ive had my share of paper cuts from either feeding its empty stomach or from handling the warm and crisp paper it churns out.

I just caused the mother of paper jams last week. Despite opening up everything which can be opened, and removing what seemed to be the offending piece of paper, it refused to get to work again.
Even the ‘miracle’ Reset button didn’t work.
My RO actually came by when she saw me probing the machine’s innards and tried to lend a hand by well.. pressing the Reset button and probing at the toner box.
No miracle happened and she commented that im suay! Ugh…

So I had to call the technical service folks to come down.

Hopefully we can cultivate a cordial relationship and there are no more major mishaps!

No comments: