Tuesday, July 04, 2006

creAtive not so C-r-e-a-t-i-v-e

This post has been sitting in the drafts section for ages. started but not completed. i'm completing it as i patiently wait for the world cup finals to start.
Creative.. ah.. the creative warehouse sale is a bargain hunter's playground but a marketer's nightmare and i consider myself a little of both. Okie mabe a bit more of the former...

The Pricing and Promotion were horrible.
On the other hand, bargains galore.
But really, its no way to market a lifestyle product.

Neways the Creative Warehouse sale was bw 25-27 June. I went on the 27th (Sunday) taking my mei mei along to look see and mabe land a bargain item.

The 1st thing that caught our attention was a giant signboard with lots of MP3 players, like an NTUC discount spread in the newspapers. Very auntie.

Usual price cancelled with the discount price written beside, and freebies thrown in fo some. My mental calculator started churning to work out the best deal Gig for Gig.. then i noticed a glaring error -->
The original price of the 1 gig Zen Neon is more than the 5 gig one??
Typo? spell check!

On the 1st page of the brochure, 'red-hot' items for Day 1 of the sale were refurbished items going for $1. Selling reconditioned items alongside new ones is a no-no. There is a reason for 2nd hand dealerships. Ca you imagine old Mazda's selling alongside new ones in showrooms for half price?

Next we proceeded to check out the MP3s at the display counters. There's a newly launched product, the Zen V and Zen V Plus. A tiny cute little thing. Pretty. My fingers got a bit itchy so i picked up the demo set and twiddled with it.

It HANGED. Ugh! The promoter was all straight faced when he said 'oh this is a demo set so will hang, its not spoilt, happens a lot, the real thing wont be like that. Let me reset it.'

And he proceeded to poke at this little hole at the side of the tiny Zen V Plus with a pin (yes he had a pin ready for such 'emergencies')

Then he passed it back to me and said 'see its very simple to reset'

Isn't it the real thing? Demo set spoil will scare customers away! I'm sure Mr Sim can afford to replace the cranky demo set...

.....

In the end, i decided to grab a pair of nifty portable speakers, not high end stuff, but value for money.
As it turns out the portable speakers came with the big wooden sub woofer thing too. And everything came packed in a big box which was certainly not light. The salesman helped me to carry it and stupid me offered to take it to the queue myself and almost dropped it when he passed it to me. Ugh. Thankfully it didn't crash to the ground, else both my pocket and pride would be quite seriously damaged.

Neways i lugged it along the queue and managed to lift it onto the counter with a heave. And there i was in for another surprise. With my humble purchase, i was instantly made a Creative Card Member, eligible for a discount and a $7 rebate off my next purchase. I'm not complaining about the $ saved. But for young punks who want to look cool, such rebates are very 'Shop & Save' like. An effortless membership is rather low on the hip quotient too.

And so auntie leong lugged the box all the way to the other end of the hall to get my membership card.

The card...
Kop the pic online, so its not very clear. basically orangey cncentric circles.



Onward to the free shuttlle back to JE. It looked like it was about to leave as folks in front of us starting running towards the bus. I emphasize it looked like it was leaving cos it really wasn't. Anyways true to our auntie spirit, we started 'jogging' too. Basically i attempted to run, but couldn't cos of the speakers i was lugging. But my mei mei, she took the box over and RAN. My mei mei is so strong! I decided there and then that i'm never getting into a fight with her cos i surely can't win. But i sure as hell was grateful she's around to lend a strong arm and leg. Now i know what all those pumping in NPCC did!

Just found this on its webby -->


And the price of my speakers just got slashed further at the online shop!!
shucks!!




No comments: