Saturday, July 09, 2005

Don't talk to strangers

Was waiting for the shuttle bus when this guy came up and said i look familiar. I figure i look like many people. A friend once told me i had a common face. I had been mistaken for 'someone from NUS' more than once and i remember once i was mistaken for Sheryl (or isit Cheryl ?) while in the queue for a ride on the "Booster" at chun1 dao4 he2 pan4. Anyway i was waiting for the elusive shuttle (They don't come around much during the vacation period. Frequency's every half hr, as the bus schedule proudly proclaims). I told him nope, not NUS, from NTU actully and here to visit my friend. Then he offered to gimme a ride, and i happily hoped in tinking he's some nice chap who really happened to mistake me for somebody else and is offering me a short ride to my destination.

And there u go, i was juz bloody stupid. People you meet in a school are not necessaily nice or decent or helpful. They can be psycho, crazy, indecent or any combination of the above.

Conversation went along the line of - "I'm popping by to visit my friend who is sick." (And i had assumed he's a student) ... "oh i've graduated. Went to Washington for exchange and i came back for an event. I'm quite liberal. Are you? *Alarm* "ehm, depends on what issue it is" ... " Pardon me for being straightforward, maybe staying overseas has made me more direct. I'll just like to get to know you" But i guess you're not very liberal are you? "..*Alarm* (Anyway what sort of argument is that? Going overseas for a few months makes you 'liberal' and direct??*&&*#@#) " Ehm, just cautious i suppose" *Feeling very uneasy*

"Now, you were not being very cautious by getting into the car were you? "

That really got me stumped. Yes, i was bloody stupid. Oh gosh.. i don't know whether to feel embarrassed or scared. I continued with some mindless chatter. Thankfully the short ride ended soon enough. Before i got off, he asked if "i could just give you a friendly hug"

Oh yuck! N0! i don't think so, and literally flew out. Never trust strangers. The stuff your mummys teach you when you're three and playing at the kiddy playground still applies even when you're 22. Lesson learnt. I won't ever be this stupid again!

3 comments:

Princess Flowerbloom said...

HAhah OMG!! SAN SAN! U GT INTO A STRANGER'S CAR! WHAT HAPPEN IF HE'S A PYSCHO!!! o gosh! n he wanted a friendly hug!! haha..

33 said...

Dunno what on earth got into my head. All i could think of was 'oh gr8, can quit waiting for the shuttle'and hopped in feeling grateful. sheesh..

Anonymous said...

u r so unbelievable!!!
can almost imagine ur reaction.. those forever grateful look on ur face when u step into e car.
welll... n i begin to realise tt u got weird encounters with guys. frm e lao ah pek to tis